Monday, July 16, 2007

Only in Mayberry!

As many of our "readers" know (er-- and by readers, I am probably only referring to my mom...), we moved in February to a small (rural) river town. I can't tell you how many times in the last 5 months we have looked at each other and said, "Only in Mayberry!" Here are a few:

1. A few weeks ago, our town celebrated "Homecoming Days," and we went one Thursday night to listen to the community band play in the city park. Let me emphasize these points: We listened to the COMMUNITY band, in the CITY park, using PUBLIC SCHOOL equipment, play GOD BLESS AMERICA, led by the JEWISH band instructor. Only in Mayberry! (Hopefully the ACLU is not reading this blog!)

2. The next night, we went and had a pulled pork dinner (local pork, no doubt) and listened to a bluegrass band. As we were leaving, a family was approaching, and called to their little boy, "This way, W!" W?! Only a George W. Bush FAN would possibly call their small child by the name "W." Only in Hamilton!

3. Last week, our church celebrated something that has been a tradition for 120 years (or so we have been told): a homemade ice cream social. Really, you can't even understand what a big deal this is! On Wednesday morning, our church family hand-churned (is that even the right word?) 200 gallons of ice cream in 6 flavors. We also made sandwiches, hotdogs, 50+ pies, and cake. All proceeds go to missions. And estimates in the past have been that 2000 people come through the line. For a town of 3,000, that a serious attendence rate! And believe it or not, we had customers this year from both coasts! Only in Mayberry!

4. This last one (for now-- this is surely a topic that will raise itself again!) may be a little embarrassing, as it lets you in on a family habit. We like to put MOS in his little radio flyer waggon a few times a week and go for family walks. Usually these family walks end up at Dairy Queen. While greeting people in the line at the ice cream social last week, I had people I DIDN'T EVEN KNOW say to me, "I guess no Dairy Queen tonight, huh?" What?! Are you serious? People I don't even know in this town know our habit of going to Dairy Queen? Only in Mayberry!

I LOVE this place!

2 comments:

Daniel said...

Waaaaaait a minute! Stop the presses!! You mean to tell me that a SCINTILLA of religion was not only NEAR the public square but IN the public square?! What has the world COME to?? CLEARLY this is an establishment of religion, violating the separation of church and state. I'll get the Orwellian Thought Police, er, the ACLU, right on it. . .What? What's that? The separation of church and state is nowhere in the Constitution? Sure it is! Just look at the penumbral emanations! It worked for Roe, didn't it? :o)

Okay, I can't play devil's advocate anymore. I can't imagine how C.S. Lewis did it for an entire book when he wrote the Screwtape Letters.

I'm glad you and your family are enjoying small-town America. It must be a great place to raise a family.

Note: I realize it is odd for me to post such a long comment on your blog given that (1) I haven't met you and (2) I've only been working with AUL for all of 1 week. But I've read some of your posts and I feel an immediate kinship, particularly re the fight to reestablish America as a culture of life.

Smith Family Blog said...

Hey, I don't mind at all! In fact, we have a third thing in common: I did the Blackstone Fellowship back in 2001.

Besides, I am glad that somebody is finally commenting! I was beginning to think I was the only one who ready my posts. :) And, I definitely like what you have to say!