Every year, my parents compete against each other to see who can lose more weight in a 8 to 10 week period. Each week, each person puts money (between 5 and 10 dollars) into an envelope, and whoever loses the most at the end of the time period keeps all of the money. My mom exercises and eats well year-round, so this is just really her way of trying to get my dad in shape (he is a tad competitive; and the winnings give him a good reason to spend money on electronics).
Three years ago (2005-- before baby, but after Kurt had worked at Krispy Kreme for a year!), I competed with my parents, and lost a whopping 20 pounds (and snagged the 245 dollars that year). I ended up at 112, which was actually a little on the skinny side. I didn’t compete in 2006, because I was pregnant with Moses (but I would have won for the amount of weight gained that year—I gained 60 pounds with him!). Fortunately, with breastfeeding the weight came off fast, and I lost 50 pounds within 6 months after he was born (as seen in this picture):
So now it is 2008. And after a year of eating incredible church potlucks and homemade pies and such but not breastfeeding, I’ve gained over 10 pounds since that picture was taken. So when my mom offered to let me in the competition this year, I jumped at the chance to compete for the 300 dollar pot. Plus, they are evening the playing field this year: instead of going by pounds, we are going by percentage weight loss.
In two weeks, I’ve lost 8 pounds, or approximately 6 percent. Only 5 more pounds until I look like that picture again! I’ll keep you posted!

No comments:
Post a Comment