Sunday, January 6, 2008

On Raising a Boy

I'm not sure how many times a day I say, "Oh, Moses." Either in laughter, embarrassment, or frustration, it is a phrase often uttered in our household. I am just now coming to grips with the fact that I am raising a BOY with a capital "B." (In other words, I am outnumbered...). Here are a few of late:
  • Upon entering Moses' room this afternoon to get him from his nap, I noticed something in his crib: a screw. A long, thick, 3-inch screw from the side of the crib. How did he get it? Who knows. But his daddy had to get out a special tool in order to get it back in.... Oh, Moses (that one is in disbelief).
  • Yesterday morning, I had on an old Caterpillar (as in the tractors) t-shirt, as we were going to be doing some cleaning. Moses was fascinated with the words on the front, "I've got the power." For some reason, I thought to ask him, "Moses, where is the 'O'"? And he promtply pointed it out. So I asked, "Moses, where is the 'I'"? And again, he pointed it out. Almost in shock, we asked, "Moses, where is the 'T'"? And he pointed to the "T"! Thinking we were pressing our luck but continuing anyway, we asked "Moses, can you show us an 'R'"? And he did! Oh, Moses! (this one in disbelief and pride) After that, he lost interest in the boring game Mommy and Daddy found so interesting.
  • This morning at church, one of our college-age friends was chasing him around the sanctuary after the service. Moses turned around and burped at her, and then laughed. Oh, Moses (this one in embarrassment).
  • Finally, the other day when I was putting him down for his nap, he stood in his crib and kept repeating "uh-few! uh-few! uh-few!" He said it over and over and over. I had no idea what "uh-few" meant, so I just said, "Okay Moses, love you!"-- after which, he happily sat down in his crib. Then it hit me: "uh-few" means "love you"! Oh, Moses! (this one in a mother's heart overflowing with love).

Oh, Moses. You bring us SO much joy!

So, now I really want to know if he is actually reading the tag on Elmo in these pictures:


No comments: