I've said it before, and I will say it again. I just don't "get" going to garage sales.
Maybe it's because I'm germophobic (and my husband has certainly contributed to that). Or maybe it's because I'm picky. Or maybe a little snobby. Or maybe all three.
But I just don't get it.
This weekend is the community garage sale. And I will admit, it's fun to leisurely stroll around town and see what people are selling. And I will admit that I do sometimes buy books. For example, the church across the street has a huge sale during the weekend, and they tend to have great books. Like brand-new Beth Moore books for 50 cents.
But other than that, I just don't get it. I mean, WHY, when I can get a Ralph Lauren shirt for 4.99 on yellow dot at Bergners (Yonkers, etc), would I dig through other people's old clothes-- not likely washed-- for a potential bargain that might not even fit? And I figure if I won't buy garage sale items for myself, I won't do it for my children.
But overall, the garage sale people thatI observe each year make me crazy. Let me give you an example. Like I said, the church across the street has a big sale every year-- so I get to observe the people going in and out. I think that garage sale people operate on a different time schedule than other people. Over the last few sales, we've noticed that although the HUGE sign outside the church clearly says the sale starts at 8, we watch people start going in sometime after 7. This year, the ladies got smart-- they locked the doors until it was time to start.
And it was like watching the mob wait for store openings the day after Thanksgiving.
Okay, that might be a little bit of a stretch. But there was a line. And the lady at the beginning of the line was complaining loudly that the church wasn't open yet. She was making exaggerated gestures, checking her watch. At 7:45.
Another example-- someone parked in our neighbor's driveway. I know they weren't her family, because we see her family come in and out. What's more, the person in the car was hanging out the car door smoking. Amidst all the non-smoking signs around our neighbor's house. She's on oxygen.
These are just a couple of examples. And I guess to me, time-- and peace-- is money. I'll take that 4.99 [brand new] Ralph Lauren shirt anyday.
6 comments:
another great Bergner's deal .....oshkosh/60% off/with additional 20% coupon.
that's a MaMa bargain!
of course...that doesn't pay off if Moses doesn't like clothes....
I don't really shop at garage sales regularly, but last year I did find great deals on books/toys/kitchen stuff at them in the past. Last year, we got Jack an entire Fisher Price full-sized workbench, tools, etc. for $3 and a whole box of gently used kids' books for $2. I don't think I've ever purchased clothing, but if I saw something decent for a good price, I'd buy it for sure. Especially after looking at how much I spent on 3T t-shirts for the summer only to find that Jack outgrew them by the time we hit June. And last year I scored a set of brand new, still in the box guard rails for Jack's bed that he'll be moving to for $5! They've been in our garage for a year, but the savings was worth having to store them for that long.
Oh, and I purchased a textbook from a garage sale for a dime a few years back that I re-sold on amazon for $110.00. Not even kidding. And I usually only go to one or two garage sales a summer. I've heard of some people who make a point to get out more often get some amazing deals.
I will say that most garage sales I've been to have been in "nicer" neighborhoods. That probably sounds bad, but usually, the stuff is like new and priced way cheap.
Maybe that's my problem- I'm focusing on the strange people`who are coming to the sale, and not the people doing the selling. :)
we enjoy having our sale each summer...and we enjoy wandering the neighborhood...as it's our neighborhood sale. I have stopped at sales when I've seen good toys visible from the road. The big marble thing and blues clues computer' being the best finds.
but yes, 'hardy' garage sale-ers are a different breed. One of our best encounters was the guy who jumped out of his car last year..an hour before the sale..to snatch up my old saxophone. the saxophone that DIDN'T work when I was in high school - so I had to use my sister's when she left for college. and the pads were mildewed..and it smelled badly.
At the same sale - a lady stopped to look as we were just placing stuff outside, under the threat of severe sky...she glanced around and said 'will you have more?'. yes, when I twitch my nose it will all be out here.
AND - same sale - Having tarps out in case of rain/and as we were dragging stuff out of the garage..a lady pulled into the driveway, picked up a tarp and asked if it was for sale. true.
As a 'seller', sales are great for people watching. And - I do hone my persistence skills(stubborn?). Like the guy who wanted ALL of my antique perfume bottles for the price of 1. duh, no.
clothing, no. Unless I knew the person well enough to 'do lunch'...I would not buy clothes.
maybe there's a reason you won't either! been some good mother-daughter bonding at the yellow-dot racks!
I've found some good deals this summer - I think it depends on where you are and the types of sales you find. We have some fairly ritzy neighborhoods in the area and those usually have nice stuff. So far this year I've found a nice serving dish, a gravy boat, a bread box, a swiffer spray mop (for .25!), an end table (for $2 - needs a coat of paint), a bread machine, a coffee grinder, a few baskets, and some decent play clothes for Kaitlyn (each for .25 or .50). I wouldn't consider myself a garage sale junkie, but I do enjoy getting out to see what deals I can find! (Although by what I just listed, it sure sounds like I'm a die-hard garage sale-er!)
Oh, and, there are always some sales where I start up the driveway, catch a glimpse of the seller and/or merchandise, and do a quick U-turn. Thanks for offering to sell me your smoke-infested (and possibly germ-infested) junk, but I think I'll have to pass. :)
one more yellow dot find!
@ bergner's...(group includes carsons)....49.99 women's dress/suiting/shirt/with yellow dot...$16.
nwt. can't beat it!
Post a Comment