I'm desperate. Desperate for Moses to eat. And while his pediatrician isn't overly concerned about it, I am getting panicked. This kid just WILL. NOT. EAT.
So I bought one of the Sneaky Chef books online. I wish I hadn't- or at least had waited until I was at a bookstore where I could look it over first. Because I don't think her tips will work for my picky eater.
Because you see, it isn't the sneaky stuff that is the problem. It's the stuff I need to sneak the sneaky stuff into. Did you follow that?
Maybe a few examples will make it clear. Moses WILL eat raw broccoli, cauliflower, carrots, and cucumbers. He loves bananas and apples. He even eats raw red, orange, and green peppers. Most of the time. It comes and goes, because he is 3 and his tastes fluctuate. I also think he gets tired of them because they are the ONLY things he will eat.
He also eats cookies and cakes, of course, and sometimes breads. He does like Eggo multi-grain waffles.
He WILL NOT eat: Grilled cheese. Hotdogs. Peanut butter & Jelly. Tater tots. Chicken nuggets if they aren't Banquet white meat frozen chicken tenders-- which Walmart has stopped carrying. Pizza-- unless it's a certain frozen variety from the store. Corndogs-- although rarely he will eat a Foster Farms chicken corndog (but again, Walmart doesn't always carry these). Sometimes he will eat spaghetti.
What's crazy is he can tell a "fake" before he even tries it. A piece of pizza might look and smell exactly the same as the frozen brand he likes, but he won't even touch it. He's got some kind of crazy, extra-sensory perception or something.
So we are good on fruits and vegetables. We are good on grains. What is missing? PROTEIN.
In other words, he won't eat any of the "fool-proof" kid foods that I'm supposed to be sneaking nutrients into.
Maybe this is covered somewhere in the book. I'm too frustrated to keep reading at this point (it doesn't help that there aren't many pictures! I need pictures!).
Anyone have any ideas worth trying? (Not even bribery works! And believe me, I have tried to bribe-- with an entire box full of "prizes" if he will just TRY certain foods....)
*sigh*
5 comments:
My daighter won't eat meat unless it is a hot dog. I give her honey baked beans. They have 6 grams of protein. I haven't tried to many other beans yet, she loves these so atleast I know she is getting the protein.
I saw your blog from Nicole Diehl by the way.
Thanks, Julie! He does actually eat baked beans, but I had never thought of the protein value (duh!). I'm going to add beans to the grocery store list!
Do you think he would drink a shake? You could try different smoothie/shake combos with peanut butter, or isn't there some type of protein powder for shakes? Will he eat dip with the veggies? You could try humus as a dip - that would have a lot of protein.
Egg yolks (or eggs in general) and avocados are two other foods that might be helpful. Those (along with refried beans) were the three foods that a nurse recommended to me when we were first starting Kaitlyn on solids, in order to help her gain the weight she needed.
Maybe he is destined to be a gourmet chef. :-)
when he was here - he ate 'bush's original baked beans'.
Maybe try having him help with the "prep" of the protein (or whatever). Perhaps if he spreads the peanut butter on a wrap,then makes decisions on the "sprinkles" such as raisins, bananas, thin apple slices, or even...mini-choco-chips :) (my fav), then he may suddenly take an interest- (maybe 8) My kids like edamame (soybeans- in the shell)Of course I think part of the interest came by providing background info ie)Asian kiddos eat it like Americans eat popcorn- (with salt- as a snack) Protein is difficult for us too- I'm afraid of the nitrates & other additives that get slipped into meat products and processed foods- maybe his taste buds are "editing" some of that stuff. You can also put any meat or bean into a food processor and make a dip or a spread- that's what I do with leftover steak for tacos and burritos. Then let him add some spices- with a bit of supervision~ unless you want to REALLY experiment-(much easier to chew after going thru the processor too). Almonds & walnuts are also good snacks; they can be blended in drinks as well. Good luck!
Post a Comment