Monday, April 14, 2008

Sharing my dirty laundry

Moses and I were set to have a good morning together. He woke up early and perky, and was ready to play with all of his new toys-- and I was ready to play with him with his new toys.

He is pretty attached to his new Cozy Coupe, and he was such a good boy all day yesterday, that I decided to let him eat his breakfast in his new car. (By the way, if you haven't read http://smith2003.blogspot.com/2008/04/party-party-pictorial-review.html , read it first! His birthday party was a blast, and he behaved like such a gentleman.)

I stepped into the kitchen to check the weather online, and upon my return Moses was trying to wipe something off of the couch. I thought, from a distance, that he had dropped his breakfast on the couch.

Then the smell hit me.

I looked down at Moses, and he had had a MAJOR diaper blowout-- the likes of which I hadn't seen since he stopped breastfeeding (for those that don't know, breastmilk causes "explosive" diapers) almost one year ago. It was all over his onesie, all over his legs, and all over the couch.

I grabbed him, set him in the bathroom, and ran for the wipes. I had to wipe him down before even attempting to get his onesie off. By this time, it was even in his hair-- and dropping onto the bathroom floor. I rinsed out his onesie, wiped him down, and stuck him in the tub with the water running.

I then ran back to the living room, and did hurdles over the baby gate into the kitchen several times before I felt that I had dumped and "rinsed" enough soapy water on the couch. I tried to pat it dry, but, you know, it's a couch....

Back to Moses. I gave him a bath and drained the water. Then he refused to get out. Now, our first floor bathroom has a shower door. Meaning that if he decides to go to the opposite end of the shower, I have to get into the shower to pull him out...

At this point, the doorbell rang. Thank goodness it was just my friend Jane. (Her first comment to me was, "Still in your pajamas, huh?"). When I explained what was going on, she laughed and said she thought she smelled something.

Back to Moses. At this point, he is ready to get out. I dry him off, get a diaper on him, and say "Want to watch Sesame Street in your car?" What a treat! He jumped at the chance, and I was glad because I really felt like taking a shower myself at that point...

I get to the car, start rolling it to the tv, and what do I find?

Two more piles.

No wonder Jane could still smell something.

I take the car out of Moses' reach to clean if off, at which point he starts crying pathetically, "Car! Car!" because he thinks I am taking it away.

I clean it off. Put in a longer-than-usual Sesame DVD. And get in the shower.

By the way-- as I type, Kurt is taking care of diaper and bath #2 for the day...

I'll remember all of this next year before I make yummy buttercream icing for his birthday....

3 comments:

Kristina said...

WOW!! We havn't got to experience anything close to that yet... Maybe we'll get lucky!

Anonymous said...

I don't even know what to say, other than - sure glad he's so cute! poor baby, thinking you were taking his car away!
xoxoxograndma!

Erin K. said...

Oh my. I guess this is why I shouldn't get any new furniture for, oh, about 18 years.